kitchen background

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

No- Knead Artisan Bread

When I first heard about no-knead bread, I wasn't too impressed. I mean, kneading is not very hard (especially when you have a KitchenAid). The thing that really stood out to me about this recipe and finally convinced me to try it, was that it comes out like artisan bread from the bakery- crusty on the outside with a soft center. This bread is AMAZING!! Jim Lahey came up with the technique, which involves an overnight (or all day) rise. You will need some kind of ovenproof pot to cook it in. I have tried this bread with half wheat and half white flours, but it is equally as good with all wheat flour.

Whole Wheat No-Knead Artisan Bread




Ingredients:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cups cool water
Wheat bran, coarse cornmeal or more flour for dusting

Directions:


1. Stir together flour, salt, yeast in a medium bowl. Add water and mix well using a wooden spoon. The dough should be wet and sticky. Add more water if needed. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours.
2. On a floured surface, shape dough into a loose round.
3. Generously dust a clean cloth with flour. Place dough on cloth. Dust the top lightly with wheat bran, cornmeal or flour. Fold ends of the towel over on the bread.
4. Let rise until almost doubled in volume, 1 to 2 hours.
5. After dough has risen for at least 30 minutes, preheat oven to 475. Heat a covered 3 1/2 quart ovenproof pot (I use a Dutch oven) for 30 minutes or until dough is ready. REmove pot from oven. Uncover and add bread. (This is the hardest part. Be careful not to get burnt!) Slide your hand under the towel and flip the bread in. Cover with lid.
6. Bake for 30 minutes; uncover pot. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more.

This post is part of Real Food Wednesdays.

9 comments:

  1. OOOh I really want to try this. I'm not sure I have the right type/size of pot though. I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to buy a pot because I didn't have anything. I found my dutch oven at a thrift store for $5, so that can be a good place to hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a similar no-knead bread many times, and I love it!!!! I use my dutch oven as well. It's a great, crusty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting. I will be trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pan the right size! If I had checked this yesterday, I'd be baking this wonderful looking bread today..instead it will have to wait until tomorrow. Something to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jim Lahey's recipe, too. Also, Zoe Francois & Jeff Hertzberg,
    Here's a youtube video for those who need the visual-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMxJgIpe38Q&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anita, I watched the video, I've heard of bread in '5 minutes' but haven't tried that. Which recipe do you like better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chanelle,
    The ingredients & method are the same. I think the '5 minutes' just refers to the shaping of the dough, bit of a play on words really, to make you think that a 24 hour dough is just made in 5 minutes!
    I ❤love❤ this bread, with as much butter as it can take:),,,,,drips off chin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I baked the bread today. Two thumbs up. Only complaint..wish we had more. :)

    ReplyDelete