kitchen background

Friday, January 22, 2010

Free coconut oil!


Tropical Traditions is looking for new recipes using virgin coconut oil. When you go online and successfully enter your recipe, you will receive a free quart of Gold Label virgin coconut oil. Don't have a coconut oil recipe to share? They are also looking for pictures to go with their current recipes.

Successful recipes submitted through our recipe submission form earn coupons for FREE


Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil! Do you have a favorite coconut recipe that you have

created and used successfully? Or do you have a picture of one of our recipes that you

made? You could earn a free quart (per recipe) of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil by

submitting it here: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_submission.cfm

Why would you want coconut oil (besides the fact that it's free)?
~Coconut oil is made of 92% saturated fat. Saturated fat is the most stable kind of fat. Unlike other fats, it won't go rancid when it is cooked.
~Coconut oil contains lauric acid. Sally Fallon says that lauric acid has"antimicrobrial, antitumor and immune-system supporting properties." The two best sources for lauric acid are coconut oil and mothers milk.
~The Journal of the American Medical Association reported, "Populations that consume coconut oil have low rates of heart disease."
~Coconut oil is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids. The ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids is 3:1.

How do you use coconut oil?
I love to use it to pop popcorn, and instead of butter in cookies (you can cut the sugar in half because the coconut oil is naturally sweet!) But my favorite use is probably in this granola recipe.

This post is part of Fight Back Friday.

7 comments:

  1. Pop corn is really good with coconut oil. I think that cookies made with coconut oil are an acquired taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Okay, I have a lot to learn here. I read great things about coconut oil but I have never used it. 1. because I don't know where to buy it (well I guess I have seen it as I am grabbing the 'other' oil) and 2 because I don't know how to use it. I have to admit I haven't searched it much either.
    You got rid of all the packaged breakfast cereals!!!!!!!!!!! My kids would die, of starvation that is. Good for you. You are smart to start early with them. How is James handling all this?! Ha! I think i'd like to try the popcorn for starters. I remember making popcorn in oil when we were little, but we had a really heavy pot. I've just been doing the air popper or microwave:( What kind of pot do you use and how much oil to kernels? The bagels are very impressive. We've made bagels a few times and it's very time consuming, but yummy. Well hats off to you again Chanelle! you are awesome.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Great to see a new real food blog...come visit me at www.happy2bahomekeeper.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Here from Food Renegade - looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, for popcorn, we use a stovetop popcorn popper. It has a little stirring thing that keeps it from burning. We do about a tablespoon of coconut oil to 1/3 cup popcorn. It's soooo much better than microwaved!

    Alexis and Jendeis, welcome! thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chanelle!
    I came across this blog after you left a comment on ours recently. So, I've been thinking about the coconut oil...I have some that I've bought for food storage because it's supposed to last so well, but I don't really want to use it for that very reason and because it's SO expensive. I wouldn't mind buying more to use if it was a decent price. I know you are a frugal shopper, so can you let me in on how you use it on a regular basis without breaking the bank?

    ReplyDelete
  7. esherman10-hi! Is your coconut oil extra virgin coconut oil? I buy mine through amazon usually, and I get 54 oz. for around $22-$25 dollars (including shipping). That lasts our family over a month. Sometimes, when a recipe calls for a lot of coconut oil, I use half coconut oil, half butter, just to make it last longer.

    ReplyDelete