kitchen background

Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's Pumpkin Season!

Even though it's 95 degrees here in Southern California, it's fall. And even if we're just eating it from a can, it's time to dust off the pumpkin recipes and make it feel like fall! Here are two of my favorites, Pumpkin Muffins and Pumpkin Pancakes. They are perfect for a fall morning... even if it feels like summer.



Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship

Ingredients:


3/4 cup honey                                    ½ t. cinnamon
2 eggs                                                   ½ t. nutmeg
¼ t. baking powder                          1 2/3 c. whole wheat or sprouted flour
1 t. baking soda                                  ½ c. melted butter or coconut oil
¾ t. salt                                               1/4 c. cold water
½ t. cloves                                          1 c. pumpkin (about half a 15 oz can)
1 Tbs. molasses (opt.)
Directions: 
Mix all ingredients together.  Put in greased loaf pan or muffin tin.  Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.



Pumpkin Pancakes

Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1 2/3 cups wheat flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


  • Directions:
    1. In a bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil or butter and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
    2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot with real maple syrup.

3 comments:

  1. Okay. Completely unrelated, but I saw your comment to my post about oils and mayo. I don't make mayonnaise but now that you've mentioned it, I think I want to try it with olive oil. Do you have a mayo recipe thats good? I searched your blog and I didn't find one. Thanks!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty,
    I've made it with olive oil, and the taste was too strong for me, although it does work with some salad dressings... The recipe I use is from Nourishing Traditions, but I have to refer you to thehealthyhomeeconomist.com - She has a great video blog on making mayonnaise that walks you through it- It's what finally gave me the courage to make it myself, and I've made it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete