kitchen background

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cream Cheese and Whey

When I first read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, I realized that a lot of the recipes called for whey. Whey comes from dairy products, and can be obtained through making mozzarella or other cheeses, or through separating your yogurt.
This is the easiest method for making whey.


Line a colander with cheesecloth and place the colander over a bowl.

Pour yogurt into the bowl (any quantity is fine).

Let drain until the yogurt stops dripping.


Now you need to let gravity help get the rest of the whey out. If you have a sink with a long handle, or a cabinet with a handle, tie the ends of the cheesecloth onto here and let it hang above the bowl (be careful not to squeeze the cloth). If not, you can get a large pitcher and tie the ends of the cloth to a long wooden spoon. Set the spoon on top of the pitcher and let the whey drip into it.

When it is done dripping, it's done.

The whey can be stored for up to 6 months in the fridge. Use it for soaking grains to reduce the phytic acid. Whey contains calcium, potassium, B vitamins, zinc and magnesium. In Ageless Recipes from Mother's Kitchen, Hanna Kroeger says, "Whey is such a good helper in your kitchen. It has a lot of minerals. One tablespoon of whey in a little water will help digestion. It is a remedy that will keep your muscles young. It will keep your joint moveable and your ligaments elastic. When age wants to bend your back, take whey...With stomach ailments, take one tablespoon whey three times daily, this will feed the stomach glands and they will work well again."

The yogurt cheese can be used in place of cream cheese. Spread it on a bagel, or make a dip with it. I've also used it in cooked recipes, mixed with chicken for example, and it works just as well as store bought cream cheese.

7 comments:

  1. Love this! I am Sally's publicist and will share this with our facebook fans! By the way, I am sitting at my computer, eating a bowl of yogurt! Full of that yummy whey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to make yogurt out of straight cream, then strain it like this to make cream cheese. It is really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strain mine in the fridge by placing the cheesecloth in a colander over the bowl, occasionally twisting the cloth and keeping it in place with a plate/small bowl. It takes longer but doesn't sit out in the kitchen taking up space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it look really easy, Chanelle!
    I've been lazy and have used a double unbleached coffee filter instead of cheesecloth, but I fear the whey drained too fast and wasn't very clear. I'll try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly, thanks for sharing this!
    Amy, mmmm yogurt from cream, great idea!
    Anonymous, I never thought about leaving it in the fridge. I've read not to squeeze the cloth, but I'm not sure why? Having a clean counter sound nice (as I write, I'm looking at a wheat grinder, all the wheat that my little helper got on the counter, and the flour that poofed out. I'll clean it... soon).
    Ellen, do try this method, it is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this information. I am new to the whole foods way, but am very interested in learning more. I love your blog--very informative and inspiring.
    Joie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this!!!!!!! My children love the "yo-cheese" as we call it, and it is fabulous to dip crackers and veggies as well as to make yo-cheese and jelly sammies!!!

    ReplyDelete